Thread: Snorkel questions..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Snorkel questions..

Hi guys, a few qusetions regarding Safari snorkels.
    Why is it that some snorkels face forward and others face backwards?or is it the same snorkels i am seeing, i guess they are adjustable?
    Do snorkels improve mpg?
    Is there any engine adjustment to be made ie fuel after a snorkel is fitted?
    My axle breathers go to my air box, if i fitted a snorkel would i have to extend these breathers?
    Last question... on the top of the passenger wing is the heater intake what would happen if a lot of water was to get in there.
    Cheers
    pete..

The Safari snorkels have a reversable inlet on them, pointing them forward supposedly helps with forcing the air in. I expect any improvement in mpg will be negligible.
    I've never had the heater inlet fill with water but out in Norway last year it used to get blocked with snow all the time and stop the airflow.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default snorkel

Just had a good look under the truck.
    Breathers Do not go to the air box dunno why i said that.
    I will have to get a extention kit by the looks of things, just priced one @ 45-50 squid.
    Is it possible to make your own? ie. go your local home brew shop they sell lots of tubing there and connectors if i remember.
    Pete..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Post Breathers

Home -brew shops or garden centres will do small bore pipe. I think it is used for irrigation if you go the agricultural route. You could also try your local motor factors or plumbers merchants.

Remember to extend the breathers on the power streering reservoir and the fuel tank breather as well as the axles, transfer box, gearbox.

As far as the heater intake is concerned, IIRC you get misted up windows (so nothing new there then!)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Snorkel

Cheers Ren.
    So thats 6(six) breathers in all.
    Where should i extend them to(up the snorkel maybe)?
    Pete..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

If you are fitting the Raised Air Intake [snorkel] to go wading then you should extend the gearbox and axle breathers as well, preferably, to near the top of the snorkel. If, however you are fitting the snorkel purely for pose value then it is not worth the bother of extending the breather pipes.
    I have seen various Landrovers with extended breather pipes, going all over the place, such as up roll cages, inside the load bay/cab area, basicaly anywhere that is suitable.
    If you are going to run the car with the snorkel attached all the time then it would be wise to get the mixture / emmisions checked and adjusted if necessary, as adding a snorkel may tend to weaken the mixture slightly by virtue of the extra "draw" required to pull the air "down the chimney" [which could be overcome by fitment of a forward facing inlet] and drag caused as the air is twisted and turned inside the snorkel which may have a rough or uneven internal bore.
    If water enters the heater inlet [which it does every time it rains or snows] then it should find its way out through the bottom dump valve, which is basically a small rubber reed type valve on the lowest part of the plastic trunking, just before the pipe enters the heater unit. [Worth checking regularily to make sure it is clear, as if water collects in the bottom of the duct it makes the windows mist up even quicker than the factory fresh vehicles]
    I made my own snorkel for my 1984 Ninety 2.5 petrol from B&Q supplied black rainwater pipe, connected to the standard air filter inlet with a genuine parts flexi hose originally used to connect the carb to the air filter.
    If you are tempted to make your own, try and use smooth bore pipe, keep the pipe as straight as possible with as few turns or bends as you can manage, and make sure you seal ALL the joints in the pipe and air filter [cue tons of goooey silicon]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

just a quick word to say you can probably get that size hosing to extend the breathers in most ornamental fish shops like maidenhead aquatics (where i work) if it is 6mm hose! then they will probably have all the connections for it too, its relatively inexpensive as well 50p a metre for the 6mm tubing and upto 1.50 for the connectors!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I reciently had the Land Rover Snorkel (the one with the Mushroom on top) fitted to my Defender for $1300 NZ. Sounds like I could of got it done at the garden shop for a lot less.

With this system I wonder if the adjustments were made to the engine when it was installed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

you can buy the mushroom top from matt savage for 23.00 and the pipe air hose and buts to make up the brackets cost about 15 - 20 in total
    1986 110 sw 200tdi(slo mo)
    07 xs leather seats, 2 inch terra firma lift, 35 x 12.5 r15 boots, 12k winch with webbing, 200tdi, Patriot rack.

1990 110 csw very lightly modified (BOB)
    Bobtailed, 35" tyres, scrap iron racing extreme suspension kit, north offroad extreme wings and bumper, p&p full external cage, 4 bucket seats, f&r warn 8274's with plasma,
    chris@caramsay.co.uk
    2 curious for my own good

Using Awaiting Confirmation
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

does anyone know if the safari top piece will fit onto a OE landrover / mantec type snorkles ? is the safari top bit available on its own ? thanks Rich.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I don't know if the tops are interchangable or not, but you might like to check which "wading plugs" are required for your engine / transmission unit, if you intend getting seriously wet and muddy.

Using Awaiting Confirmation
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Heater air intake

Hi, Bought a great little platic funnel thing to go over the intake that points forward to rain etc doesn't go in. take s minutes of my demist time as it isn't heating up moist air! It was 10 and looks cool aswell!! As always i get all my bits from Eddie at Selly Oak 4x4 Birmingham! Blimey i think i should be getting commission!

Stuart

Apprentice
    just outside Wigan on the 3rd rock from the Sun
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thumbs down

Sorry the top don't fit someone helped themselfs to mine and it 80 for a replacement so i thought i'd get a mushroom top and the two and a half inch fitting wont fit the three and half inch down pipe so i bought the complet man-tech for not much more than a safari top
    if you don't get stuck your not trying hard enough!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Safari Snorkel

The intake head of the 'Safari Snorkel' is reversable. Normal driving it faces forward and when in dusty/sandy conditions it faces rearwards. (ideal when following a vehicle in the desert!!) Makers claim improved performance due to 'ram air' effect when facing forward. No engine adjustment required. Rain will not get into the system as it will escape through purpose made escape outlets just above the jubillee clip that fixes the intake head onto the unit. It's very easy to install and because it's made of hard plastic it won't rust. A friend has a Mantec raised air intake and the 'Safari Snorkel' is far better.

I can concur that the garden centre irrigation small bore 5/6mm are a good idea. Two vehicles breather pipes were extended for 11.

Thread Information