Thread: Freelander vibration problem

Default Freelander vibration problem

Hi
    I have a 98 freelander 1800 XEDI. It has had a new gearbox, viscus fitted so im now back powering 4 wheels. However the car feels abit tight when it comes to acceleration compared to 2 wheel drive. The main problem is the car drives fine until i hit 2000rpm-2200rpm when i get a large amount of vibration (rattles the dash and sunroof cover). It doesnt happen any other time just when driving at around that rpm. (Im yet to risk driving it above 40mph unless it goes bang like my last gearbox did when i purchased the car).

Ive read a number of things including bearings, rear prop shaft, changing the tires and all sorts of crazy ideas. I cant see why it would be the tires as the car drove 100% when it didnt have the viscus on.

The car also seems to have developed a fault when it first starts it feels like its being strangled for fuel (fuel pump maybe?) and cuts out when i reach the first junction from a 30mph drive. turning the key out of gear with the foot to the floor three or four times she comes back to life and drives perfect all day long. Seems to only happen from cold. I love the car and it looks great with side steps and bull bars in silver but im almost ready to drive it off a cliff if i cant work it out and never by another land rover again.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Freelander vibration problem

If you have tyres with aggressive treads, like mud tyres, they are horrendous on roads.

You need to make sure you don't have worn tyres on the rears and new on the fronts.

Did they change the gearbox or the IRD?

If it's always the same rev range, but different gears, it won't be the transmission, it will be the engine. Something out of balance.

I would take the props and vc of again and see if the problem is still there.

What have the Garage/Fitters done about it? I assume you have taken it back for investigation.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by andy223 View Post
    Hi
    I have a 98 freelander 1800 XEDI. It has had a new gearbox, viscus fitted so im now back powering 4 wheels. However the car feels abit tight when it comes to acceleration compared to 2 wheel drive. The main problem is the car drives fine until i hit 2000rpm-2200rpm when i get a large amount of vibration (rattles the dash and sunroof cover). It doesnt happen any other time just when driving at around that rpm. (Im yet to risk driving it above 40mph unless it goes bang like my last gearbox did when i purchased the car).

Ive read a number of things including bearings, rear prop shaft, changing the tires and all sorts of crazy ideas. I cant see why it would be the tires as the car drove 100% when it didnt have the viscus on.

The car also seems to have developed a fault when it first starts it feels like its being strangled for fuel (fuel pump maybe?) and cuts out when i reach the first junction from a 30mph drive. turning the key out of gear with the foot to the floor three or four times she comes back to life and drives perfect all day long. Seems to only happen from cold. I love the car and it looks great with side steps and bull bars in silver but im almost ready to drive it off a cliff if i cant work it out and never by another land rover again.
    Is your vibration under load in 1st and 2nd gear mainly? That is what mine is doing 2003, Td4. (Freeby)

Hi

I have -00 Freelander. It startet to keep roaring noise, so I desided to change Propshaft bearings. When I took the driveline out I noticed that front driveshafts connection to ird was in lousy condition. Boot was missing and bearings were dry and rusty. I bought universal bootkit and used petrol and grease to clean bearings.

Somehow bearing's seems to be OK now and roaring is gone, but...

When I finally changed the propshaft bearings and but driveline back, I got vibration at 60 - 70 km/h. No matter what gear I use, it's always there. Only when accelerating it goes away for a while.

I have changed / added oil to gearbox, ird and rear differential. I have also re-checked propshaft bearings, so that they seem to be fitting "naturally" relating to visco and other driveline.

Wondering what could be wrong? Can it be problem in visco damber? I think that visco is still fine. (Tested with 1st gear on and rotating rear wheel).

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I gave this reply a while back to a similar problem, don't know if anything came of it. - http://www.landrovernet.com/forum/sh...12#post1069812

Mine turned out to be the rear dampener looks like its well worth spending 20 when you get the job done otherwise you end up with silly things like this.

Thread Information